Ph.D. Curriculum & Instruction
The Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction program is designed to prepare transforming curriculum and instructional leaders for local, state, and national levels. The program focuses on societal changes that are placing an ever-increasing emphasis upon the evolving role of the professional educator. The program is designed for working professionals with at least three years of experience and master’s level certification, and who hold a passion for transformative education. Completion of the program and a passing score on the GACE Content Assessment for Curriculum and Instruction will lead to eligibility for a Level 7 Service certificate upgrade.
Upon completion of the program, students will:
- Broaden their understanding and knowledge of the historical, philosophical, and theoretical foundations of planning, implementing, and evaluating curriculum
- Understand the political and theoretical contexts for planning, implementing, and evaluating curriculum; and provide curriculum leadership at various levels (e.g., local, state, and national)
- Construct appropriate and accurate knowledge of instructional strategies and techniques that incorporates critical analysis of current research and pedagogical approaches
PROGRAM DELIVERY MODEL
The Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction is offered in a convenient blended weekend delivery format that offers flexibility for busy professional educators. New cohorts begin once a year during the summer semester (May). The dissertation process is embedded throughout the program, and the supportive cohort model allows for ongoing collaboration with classmates and faculty mentors. Coursework is taken sequentially over 11 semesters in 16-week courses.
- Classes are a combination of online learning and three Saturday, face-to-face meetings per semester on the Atlanta campus.
- Students will attend classes inclusive of doctoral seminars three Saturdays per semester from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with a midday break.
- Online sessions will be delivered in both synchronous and asynchronous format via WebEx, Mercer's online meeting environment.
Ready to take the next step? Schedule your personalized admission counseling appointment >