M.A.T. in Secondary Education
College of Education
Influence student achievement in grades 6-12
Mercer University’s Master of Arts in Teaching in Secondary Education is designed to prepare individuals for initial teacher certification to support the academic and personal growth of students in grades 6-12. Through diverse field experiences, individuals can apply comprehensive concepts learned in the classroom and will develop skills in research, assessment, and technology integration. Expanded secondary education certification fields in biology, chemistry, earth/space science, English, geography, history, mathematics, physics, political science, or trade and industrial education will prepare candidates to support students in the field of their choice. For more information, view a complete list of secondary education fields.
Successful completion of the program and passing scores on the appropriate Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC)-approved Content Pedagogy Assessment and Georgia Assessment for the Certification of Educators (GACE) Content Assessments lead to eligibility for Level 5 certification.
Did you know? You could be eligible to earn your initial teaching certification sooner. Mercer’s M.A.T. in Secondary Education is pedagogy-only. This program requires students to complete and pass the Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE) Content Assessment in the area in which they are seeking certification, so it no longer requires content concentration courses. The 31-credit pedagogy-only M.A.T. in Secondary Education can be completed in as few as 18-24 months, so you can get in the classroom sooner. Graduates of Mercer’s M.A.T. in Secondary Education are eligible for initial teacher certification, and Georgia public school teachers are candidates for a pay increase with a master’s degree.
Designed for busy and working adults
Mercer’s M.A.T. in Secondary Education program is designed for:
- Re-careering professionals
- Paraprofessionals who have bachelor’s degrees
- Teachers who hold non-renewable certificates and who want to earn a Clear Renewable master’s level certificate
- Teacher candidates from a wide variety of academic majors who are interested in earning both initial certification and a master’s level teaching certificate
The M.A.T. in Secondary Education is offered on Mercer’s Atlanta campus in a blended format. Coursework is scheduled in a combination of in-person and online meetings that occurs over 16-week terms in the fall and spring, and in eight-week terms in the summer. All students will also complete daytime field experiences.
Day field experience requirement
During the program, students will apply classroom knowledge and benefit from hands-on field experiences. Students will complete a sequentially planned series of field experiences in diverse settings and meet cluster requirements of the program. If students are currently on a provisional license, they can complete this item in their own classroom. View program requirements to learn more. Field experiences are coordinated through the Office of Field Placement.
Expand your knowledge
Through program curriculum, students will gain knowledge in:
- Understanding the social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive, and physical characteristics and needs of the adolescent
- Understanding how students differ in their approaches to learning and how the learning environment can be adapted to meet the diverse needs of secondary education
- Designing and implementing an integrated, developmentally appropriate curriculum that considers the social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive, and physical nature and needs of secondary students
- Developing and implementing a wide variety of formative and summative assessment strategies
- Integrating research-based strategies and instructional technology effectively into all components of the secondary school curriculum