M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education
College of Education
Inspire learning among students in middle grades
The pre-adolescent and early adolescent years of learning is a significant period for student growth and success. Mercer University’s Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Middle Grades Education prepares individuals for initial teacher certification to support students in grades 4 through 8. Individuals will develop comprehensive skills to understand the needs of middle-grade learners, and gain knowledge in a content concentration area. Middle grades content concentrations are available in language arts, mathematics, science, social science, or reading. Diverse field experiences throughout the program allow initial teacher certification candidates to apply classroom knowledge through research, assessment, and technology integration. Successful completion of the program and passing scores on the appropriate Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC)-approved Content Pedagogy Assessment and Georgia Assessment for the Certification of Educators (GACE) Content Assessments lead to eligibility for Level 5 certification.
Did you know? You could be eligible to earn your initial teaching certification sooner. Mercer’s M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education is pedagogy-only. This program requires students to complete and pass the Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE) Content Assessment in the area in which they are seeking certification, so it no longer requires content concentration courses. The 31-credit pedagogy-only M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education can be completed in as few as 18-24 months, so you can get in the classroom sooner. Graduates of Mercer’s M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education are eligible for initial teacher certification, and Georgia public school teachers are candidates for a pay increase with a master’s degree.
Designed for busy and working adults
Mercer’s M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education program is designed for:
- Individuals entering the teaching profession
- Paraprofessionals who have bachelor’s degrees
- Teachers who hold non-renewable certificates and who want to earn a Clear Renewable master’s level certificate
- Teacher candidates from a wide variety of academic majors who are interested in earning both initial certification and a master’s level teaching certificate
The M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education is offered on Mercer’s Atlanta and Macon campuses in a blended format. Coursework is scheduled in a combination of in-person and online meetings that occurs over 16-week terms in the fall and spring, and in eight-week terms in the summer. All students will also complete daytime field experiences.
Day field experience requirement
During the program, students will apply classroom knowledge and benefit from hands-on field experiences. Students will complete a sequentially planned series of field experiences in diverse settings and meet cluster requirements of the program. If students are currently on a provisional license, they can complete this item in their own classroom. View program requirements to learn more. Field experiences are coordinated through the Office of Field Placement.
Expand your knowledge
Through program curriculum, students will gain knowledge in:
- Understanding the social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive, and physical characteristics and needs of the preadolescent student
- Understanding how students differ in their approaches to learning and how the learning environment can be adapted to meet the diverse needs of middle grades
- Designing and implementing an integrated, developmentally appropriate curriculum for at least two content concentration areas that considers the social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive, and physical nature and needs of middle grade students
- Developing and implementing a wide variety of formative and summative assessment strategies
- Integrating research based strategies and instructional technology effectively into all components of the middle school curriculum