B.S.Ed. in Secondary Education (Daytime)
College of Education
Teach the next generation of world-changers
Mercer’s Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.Ed.) with a major in Secondary Education prepares residential undergraduate students on the Macon campus for certification to teach adolescents in grades 6 through 12. Through a program taught within a cohort model, students will gain an academic perspective that values the individual and authentic worth of the adolescent through the inclusive lens of the regular classroom.
Complete your education coursework in one of the following areas of certification:
- Political Science
Individuals who successfully complete the program of study and obtain passing scores on the appropriate GaPSC-approved Content Pedagogy Assessment and GACE Content Assessments lead to eligibility for Level 4 induction certification.
Gain valuable field experience
Secondary Education majors fulfill a set of field placements within diverse school and community populations. Through field placements, students will:
- Be equipped to advocate for the needs and rights of each adolescent they service in their future classrooms.
- Understand the importance of collaboration and establishing partnerships with parents, schools, and communities.
Learn more about field experience.
Expand your knowledge
Upon completion of the program, graduates are able to:
- Understand adolescents from a holistic perspective with an emphasis on social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive, and physical characteristics
- Comprehend interdisciplinary middle and secondary curriculum design and understand how students differ in their approaches to learning
- Design and employ a content-specific and/or integrated, developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Develop and implement a variety of formative and summative assessment strategies
- Build collaborative relationships with families, school colleagues, communities, and other stakeholders
- Seek to be reflective, evaluate personal development, and find opportunities to grow professionally