Elementary/Special Education Non-Degree Certification
Become certified to teach grades P through 5
Mercer University’s Elementary/Special Education non-degree certification program is designed for aspiring teachers who currently hold a bachelor’s degree in a field other than education. The program prepares students for initial teacher certification in grades P through 5, but students do not earn a degree. Certification- and degree-seeking students who currently hold a bachelor’s degree in a field other than education may choose to pursue a master’s degree through Mercer’s Master of Arts in Teaching in Elementary Education.
Successful completion of the program and passing scores on the appropriate GACE Content assessments lead to eligibility for initial teacher certification.
Designed for busy and working adults
Students pursue the Elementary/Special Education non-degree certification program through a blended combination of online and in-person meetings at Mercer’s Atlanta, Douglas County, Henry County, or Macon location. With the program’s flexibility, many of our students are able to continue working while preparing for initial teacher certification.
- The majority of each course is completed through both synchronous and asynchronous online instruction, and students only attend class in person twice per course.
- Most students register for two courses per eight-week session.
- Sessions begin five times a year in January, March, May, August, and October.
- Students are also required to participate in field experiences during the day.
Expand your knowledge
Upon completion of the program, graduates are prepared to:
- Understand the young child from a holistic perspective with an emphasis upon the cognitive, affective, and psychomotor domains, as well as the child’s environment
- Understand various curriculum models and best practices
- Demonstrate competency in developing and implementing a wide variety of diagnostic and assessment techniques and strategies
- Integrate technology into the curriculum
Learn more about our Elementary/Special Education non-degree certification
Ready to take the next step?
Schedule your personalized admissions counseling appointment, or contact Renee Slaton at 678.547.6500 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.