Middle Grades Education Non-Degree Certification
Become certified to teach grades 4 through 8
Mercer University’s Middle Grades Education non-degree certification program is designed for aspiring teachers who currently hold a bachelor’s degree in a field other than education. The program prepares students for initial teacher certification in grades 4 through 8, but students do not earn a degree. Certification- and degree-seeking students who currently hold a bachelor’s degree in a field other than education may choose to pursue a master’s degree through Mercer’s Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Middle Grades Education.
Successful completion of the program and passing scores on the appropriate GACE Content assessments lead to eligibility for initial certification.
Designed for busy and working adults
Students pursue the Middle Grades Education non-degree certification program through a blended combination of online and in-person meetings at Mercer’s Douglas County or Henry County location. With the program’s flexibility, many of our students are able to continue working while preparing for initial teacher certification.
- The majority of each course is completed through both synchronous and asynchronous online instruction, and students only attend class in person twice per course.
- Most students register for two courses per eight-week session.
- Sessions begin five times a year in January, March, May, August, and October.
- Students are also required to participate in field experiences during the day.
Expand your knowledge
Upon completion of the program, graduates are prepared to:
- Understand the middle school philosophy and concept and demonstrate knowledge of the characteristics of an effective middle school
- Understand middle school students and the uniqueness and diversity (age, ability, gender, special needs, etc.) exhibited by the group of students, as well as the ability and skills to meet the needs of the diversity exhibited in today’s middle schools
- Effectively plan, organize, implement, and assess curricular models that meet the unique needs of middle level students
- Effectively collaborate with families, community, and other partners
Learn more about our Middle Grades Education non-degree certification
Ready to take the next step?
Schedule your personalized admissions counseling appointment or contact Renee Slaton at 678.547.6500 or email@example.com for more information.