B.S.Ed. in Middle Grades Education
College of Education
Douglas County and Henry County
Inspire tomorrow’s leaders and difference makers
Mercer University’s Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.Ed.) in Middle Grades Education equips students with the knowledge and experience needed to teach children in grades 4 through 8. The program is designed for aspiring middle school teachers who do not hold a bachelor’s degree for initial teacher certification. For aspiring teachers who current hold a bachelor’s degree in a field other than education, Mercer offers the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Middle Grades Education.
The B.S.Ed. in Middle Grades Education prepares students to facilitate learning for a group of unique and diverse individuals transitioning from childhood to adolescence. Coursework includes an embedded emphasis on reading and a focus on integrated instruction, as well as content concentrations. Students select concentrations in Language Arts and Social Studies, or Mathematics and Science.
Successful completion of the program and passing scores on the appropriate GACE Content assessments lead to eligibility for Level 4 induction certification.
Designed for busy and working adults
Earning a bachelor’s degree at Mercer University while managing other priorities is possible. With the program’s flexibility, many of our students are able to continue working while earning their degree.
Students pursue the B.S.Ed. in Middle Grades Education through a blended combination of online and in-person meetings at Mercer’s Douglas County or Henry County location.
- The majority of each course is completed through both synchronous and asynchronous online instruction, and students only attend class in person twice per course.
- Most students register for two courses per eight-week session.
- Sessions begin five times a year in January, March, May, August, and October.
- Students are also required to participate in field experiences during the day.
Transfer your credits
We want you to get the credit you deserve toward completion of your B.S.Ed. at Mercer. That’s why we’ve made the process of transferring credits as seamless as possible.
Expand your knowledge
Upon completion of the program, graduates are prepared to:
- Understand the middle school philosophy and concept and demonstrate knowledge of the characteristics of an effective middle school
- Understand middle school students and the uniqueness and diversity (age, ability, gender, special needs, etc.) exhibited by the group of students, as well as the ability and skills to meet the needs of the diversity exhibited in today’s middle schools
- Effectively plan, organize, implement, and assess curricular models that meet the unique needs of middle level students
- Effectively collaborate with families, community, and other partners
Learn more about our Middle Grades Education major
Ready to take the next step?
Schedule your personalized admissions counseling appointment or contact Renee Slaton at 678.547.6500 or email@example.com for more information.