When does the program start?
Students are admitted three times a year for the Fall (August), Spring (January) and Summer (May) terms.
Where will the program be offered?
The Ed.S. Degree in Educational Leadership is offered on our Atlanta and Macon campuses as well as in our Regional Academic Centers in Henry County
Who may apply?
There are several different variations of the Ed.S. program, and your current status within your school and/or school system will affect the version for which you are eligible. For all variations, applicants must hold a master’s degree in an approved field from an accredited university, hold a valid Georgia teaching, service, and/or leadership certificate at level 5 or higher, and have completed at least 3 years of certified school experience:
-Those who hold a leadership role or position, as defined by the Georgia PSC.
-Those with level 5 certification who do not hold a leadership role.
-Those with level 6 or 7 certification and who also hold a leadership role.
What are the criteria for admission?
1. Two official transcripts of all college or university work. Minimum cumulative graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
2. A signed and dated School System Verification of Leadership Role or Position (performance based option)
3. Completed application and fee (waived for current Mercer students).
4. A signed and dated narrative of career and academic goals
5. Three professional letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a school system supervisor
6. Complete a writing sample
7. Candidates must submit an official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report*. Applicants with a previous GPA below 3.0 may submit GRE scores or other standardized test scores as strong evidence of his or her ability to complete graduate coursework.
8. Participate in an applicant interview with program faculty
*Note: GRE scores are waived for students with at least a 3.0 GPA from a regionally accredited institution.
How long will it take?
The program will take approximately two years to complete
Can I keep my job and do this program?
Yes, all classes will be offered in the evenings (5:00 to 9:30 pm) over 16-week semesters during the school year with 8-week sessions each summer. A 32-week structured internship is required.
How much does it cost?
Is there financial aid available for this program?
Generally, loans are available for graduate programs. To receive financial aid, students must be fully admitted to the program. Students who are provisionally admitted will not be eligible for aid. Specific financial aid questions should be directed to financial aid counselors at the following locations: