B.S.Ed. Secondary Education
Designed for those with a passion for investing in adolescents and inspiring future generations, Mercer’s Bachelor of Science in Education with a major in Secondary Education is a pathway for certification to teach grades 6–12. The program prepares students for certification in one of the following academic areas: biology, chemistry, English, history, mathematics, physics, or political science. Successful completion of the program and passing scores on the appropriate GACE Content Assessments lead to eligibility for initial teacher certification.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Understand adolescents from a holistic perspective with an emphasis on social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive, and physical characteristics
- Comprehend interdisciplinary middle and secondary curriculum design and understand how students differ in their approaches to learning
- Design and employ a content-specific and/or integrated, developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Develop and implement a variety of formative and summative assessment strategies
- Integrate research-based strategies and technology into all components of curriculum
- Build collaborative relationships with families, school colleagues, communities and other stakeholders
- Seek to be reflective, evaluate personal development, and find opportunities to grow professionally
DAY FIELD EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
Field experience is an integral part of the Teacher Preparation Program. Each candidate is expected to complete a sequentially planned series of field experiences in diverse settings, and meet cluster requirements of their individual program plan. (See program plans for specific number of field experiences and cluster requirement information.) The B.S.Ed. in Secondary Education is designed to equip students for success, and exposure to secondary classrooms begins during students' sophomore year at Mercer. Field experiences are coordinated through the Office of Field Placement.
PROGRAM DELIVERY MODEL
Beginning in Fall (August) 2019, the B.S.Ed. program in Secondary Education is offered in a traditional, day format on Mercer’s beautiful, historic Macon campus. Taught in a cohort delivery model, the B.S.Ed. program fosters collaboration and partnership skills among students, which are key competencies to the teaching profession. Schedule a personal visit to experience Mercer firsthand.