B.S.Ed. Elementary/Special Education – The Holistic Child
The Bachelor of Science in Education degree, with a major in Elementary/Special Education – Holistic Child, is designed for students who would like to be certified to teach children from K to 5th grade. Successful completion of the program of study and passing scores on the appropriate GaPSC-approved Content Pedagogy Assessment and GACE Content Assessments lead to eligibility for Level 4 induction certification.
The Elementary/Special Education General Program - The Holistic Child Program at Mercer University offers an academic perspective to the candidate that values the individual and authentic worth of the young child through the inclusive lens of the general education classroom. Having completed this program of study, the candidate will become a transforming educator and a reflective professional who advocates for the needs and rights of the young child, while collaborating and establishing partnerships with parents, schools and communities.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Understand the young child from a holistic perspective with an emphasis upon the cognitive, affective, and psychomotor domains – as well as the child's environment
- Understand various curriculum models and best practices
- Construct and implement an integrated, developmentally appropriate curriculum for all areas of a child's development, including cognitive, emotional, social, and physical
- Demonstrate competency in developing and implementing a wide variety of diagnostic and assessment techniques and strategies
- Integrate technological advances as a routine part of the curriculum
FIELD EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
Field experience is an integral part of the Teacher Preparation Program. Each candidate is expected to complete a sequentially planned series of field experiences in diverse settings, and meet cluster requirements of their individual program plan. (See program plans for specific number of field experiences and cluster requirement information.) Field experiences are coordinated through the Office of Field Placement.
PROGRAM DELIVERY MODEL
The B.S.Ed. program is offered in a traditional, day format on our beautiful, historic Macon campus. Schedule a personal visit to experience our campus first-hand.
Learn more about our Bachelor of Science in Education in Elementary/Special Education - The Holistic Child degree