M.A.T. Secondary Education 5th Year
The 5th year Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Secondary Education is designed for graduates of non-education bachelor’s degree programs who are seeking initial certification at the master’s level. Students complete the daytime program over three semesters on Mercer’s Macon campus. Successful completion of the program and passing scores on the required GaPSC-approved Content Pedagogy Assessment and GACE Content Assessments lead to eligibility for Level 5 certification.
The comprehensive program develops the specialized skills needed to teach and support students in grades 6-12. Course content focuses on foundations of education, adolescent development, and interdisciplinary teaching methods for secondary environments. An initial summer field placement and year-long clinical placement in an area high school prepare teachers to support the diverse needs of students. Expanded secondary education certification fields in biology, chemistry, earth/space science, English, geography, history, mathematics, physics, political science, or trade and industrial education will prepare candidates to support students in grades 6-12 in the field of their choice. View a complete list of secondary education fields here.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Understand the social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive and physical characteristics and needs of adolescents
- Understand how students differ in their approach to learning and how to adapt the learning environment to meet diverse needs in the secondary education environment
- Design and implement an integrated, developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Develop and implement a variety of assessment strategies to evaluate students’ learning and academic achievement
- Integrate research-based strategies and instructional technology effectively into all components of the secondary school curriculum
DAY FIELD EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
Field experience is an integral part of the teacher preparation program. Each candidate is expected to complete a series of field experiences in diverse settings, and meet the cluster requirements of their program plan. (See program plans for the specific number of field experiences and cluster requirement information.) The Office of Field Placement coordinates field experiences.
PROGRAM DELIVERY MODEL
The 5th year Secondary Education M.A.T. admits students once per year in May at Mercer’s Macon campus. Course delivery takes the form of traditional daytime classroom instruction once per week with two other days in high school settings. Other classes are a blended combination of online and in-person meetings offered in the evenings.
Ready to take the next step? Schedule your personalized admissions counseling appointment to get started.