Graduate Teacher Candidacy Admission
Non- degree, certificate and M.A.T. candidates will meet the same admission and progression criteria, and will be required to complete the same initial certification requirements. Candidates must submit a completed Application to Teacher Candidacy. (This application is separate from the application to the M.A.T. program.)
In order to be recommended for certification, an M.A.T. candidate must:
- Have successfully met all Progression Policy criteria.
- Have a positive recommendation from student teaching or internship.
- Have successfully completed all program/degree requirements.
- Have successfully completed Portfolio requirements.
- Have successfully passed the appropriate GACE Content test(s) and have submitted score reports to the appropriate Certification Office.
- Have met all state requirements for certification.
- In order for a candidate to continue in the M.A.T. program, he/she:
- Must meet and maintain all requirements for full admission to the program.
- Must earn a B or higher in all education courses.
- May repeat only two education courses.
- An education course may be repeated only one time. A certification candidate may not re-take an equivalent class at another college in order to replace a grade earned at Mercer.
- Must have positive recommendations from each field experience in order to advance in the sequence of required field experiences. Field experience placements must meet all diversity of placement criteria.
Beginning in the Fall 2015, all candidates seeking initial certification will be required, during their student teaching or internship experience, to submit a performance- based portfolio assessment for external scoring. A fee will be assessed.