To be eligible for the Educational Specialist (Ed.S). in Early Childhood Education program, applicants must hold a master's degree from an accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 on all graduate work attempted. Also, they must possess or be eligible for a master's level certificate in an appropriate field, such as Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Education/Special Education, or Birth-Kindergarten. 

Required Application Materials Include:

Online or Paper Application
$30 Application Fee
Copy of master's level certificate
Official College transcript(s)
GRE or MAT official test score report

Admission Standards

Application – Complete online Application for Admission
Begin Application Now >


Application Fee - Please include the $30 application fee ($50 for international applicants) in the form of a check or money order made payable to Mercer University.  Bank or credit cards are accepted, please do not send cash. 

The application fee is nonrefundable, cannot be applied toward tuition. 


Copy of master's level certificate –Include a copy of master's level certificate.

College transcript(s) – Applicants must submit one official transcript from every postsecondary institution previously attended, regardless of length of stay or if the grades are listed on another school's transcript. Former and current Mercer University students need not request a Mercer University transcript.

GRE or MAT test scores – Submit recent official test scores (within the last five years) on either the Graduate Records Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT). The following are the target scores: GRE taken after August 1, 2011: 147 Verbal, 143 Quantitative, and 4.0 for Writing. GRE taken prior to August 2011: 900 for Verbal and Quantitative sections and 4.0 Writing. Miller Analogies Test: 406.

Test scores are not the sole criteria;applicants with scores lower than the target may apply but will need to provide compelling evidence of potential to complete graduate level coursework. International applicants should consult the university catalog for additional requirements.

Application materials may be mailed to:

Tift College of Education - Graduate Teacher Education Admissions P.O. Box 2140 McDonough, Georgia 30253

Additional Requirements for International Applicants 

A.Evaluation of Foreign Credentials Applicants who completed all or part of their education abroad are required to have their foreign educational credentials evaluated by an independent evaluation service. A Course-by-Course and Grade Point Average Equivalent Evaluation is required for undergraduate admission. Contact the Office of Admissions for information about evaluation services if your foreign credentials have not been evaluated. If an evaluation has been done, you must submit an official sealed copy with your application.

B.Official Translations Documents submitted in a language other than English must be accompanied by official translations.

C.Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) The TOEFL or IELTS is required for international applicants whose primary language is not English. The scores may not be more than two years old. Official score reports must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions by the Educational Testing Service. The Educational Testing Service institution code for submission of official score reports is 5025. Unofficial copies of the score report may be included with the application for initial review and evaluation. This does not replace the requirement of an official score report for those applicants who are offered admission.

Exception: The TOEFL is not required of international applicants who have attended another U.S. institution and completed freshman English Composition I and II with grades of "C" or higher.

D.Financial Guarantee: International applicants who wish to obtain an I-20 for F-1 visa must include financial documentation showing ability to finance tuition and living expenses for one year. Financial documents must have a current date and indicate available funds of US$25,000.

E.Visa Status: International Applicants Who are Currently in the United States - Documentation of your current visa status must be submitted with the self-managed application. (Copy of I-20 and I-94 if on an F-1 visa;copy of visa stamp and I-94 if on another type of visa;or copy of Resident Alien card [front and back] if classified as a Resident Alien.)