Ed.S. Teacher Leadership
Online Classes with Weekend Seminars and a
Team Focused Approach to Learning
The Education Specialist in Teacher Leadership is designed for teachers who are certified at the master's level and want to develop their skills as teacher leaders within their grade levels and schools. Successful completion of the program and a passing score on the GACE for Teacher Leadership will lead to eligibility for an upgrade of the candidate's teaching certificate to a S-6 certificate. A Teacher Leadership Portfolio and On-line Teacher Leader Network will assist candidates as they transform into highly effective teacher leaders prepared to meet today's challenges. Other support elements include coaches, candidate support teams, and individual growth plans.
The Ed.S. in Teacher Leadership program is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- To prepare the candidate to serve in teacher leadership roles in grades P-12 while modeling best practices in pedagogy and serving as a mentor and coach for other educators
- To expand theoretical and practical knowledge of teachers with an understanding of the social-cultural, legal, political, and philosophical forces that influence the school environment
- To develop extensive proficiency in research methods, advanced instructional practices, initiating change within the school system, and developing colleagues
TEAM FOCUSED APPROACH TO LEARNING
Throughout the program a Mercer faculty member is assigned to each student in a coaching capacity. In addition, each student is also partnered with a mentor who is based in his or her home school. This Candidate Support Team (CTS) will work with the student directly in the school setting. The CTS (student, faculty coach and in-school mentor) work together to further develop the student's knowledge and practice as a teacher leader.
PROGRAM DELIVERY MODEL
The Ed.S. in Teacher Leadership program may be completed in four semesters (approximately 16 months). Classes are delivered fully online on a year-round calendar. Two face-to-face seminars are required per semester in the Fall and Spring (no seminars are scheduled during the Summer semester). Seminars are scheduled on Saturdays from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. and are held on the Atlanta campus. Faculty are available for individual meetings as needed. Online components of the program are completed in Blackboard, Mercer's course management system.
2013 Cohort '13 - '14 Saturday Seminar Schedule
Seminar 1 - August 17
Seminar 2 - November 16
Seminar 3 - January 11
Seminar 4 - March 22
Seminar 5 - TBD
Seminar 6 - TBD
PROGRAM OF STUDY
Professional Studies ……………………….……… 27 hours
Residencies …………………….…….…………… 3 hours
(Program includes three 1-hour residencies)
TOTAL…………………………………………… 30 hours
For additional information consult the Mercer University catalog.
To be eligible for the Ed.S. in Teacher Leadership program, applicants must hold a master's degree from an accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 on all graduate work attempted. Also, they must possess or be eligible for a master's level certificate in an appropriate field. To apply, submit the following:
- A completed application - click here for online application
- $30 non-refundable application
- A copy of master's level certificate
- Official transcripts of all college work attempted
- Documentation of at least three years of successful teaching experience
- Recommendation from the applicant's school district
- Submit recent official test scores (within the last five years) on either the Graduate Records Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT). The following are the target scores: GRE taken after August 1, 2011: 147 Verbal, 143 Quantitative, and 4.0 for Writing. GRE taken prior to August 2011: 900 for Verbal and Quantitative sections and 4.0 Writing. Miller Analogies Test: 406
Test scores are not the sole criteria; applicants with scores lower than the target may apply but will need to provide compelling evidence of potential to complete graduate level coursework. International applicants should consult the university catalog for additional requirements.
Application materials may be mailed to:
Tift College of Education - Graduate Teacher Education Admissions
3001 Mercer University Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30341
TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION, CLICK HERE, OR CONTACT:
Toll Free: 800-762-5404
HELPFUL LINKSOnline Application