Ph.D. Educational Leadership (P-12)
The Admissions Committee will begin reviewing applications after the final application deadline. In-person writing samples will be scheduled approximately two weeks after each of the application deadlines.
- Final application deadline – April 1
- Classes Begin Fall of each year (August)
- The Ph.D. in Educational Leadership offers two tracks: the P-12 School Leadership Track (candidates must hold current leadership certification) and the Higher Education Leadership Track
- The program will be offered in Atlanta and Macon.
- A minimum of three complete years, or nine semesters, including summers, will be required to complete the program.
- Classes will be in the evenings over 16-week semesters (two 8-week sessions).
- Students will take 2-3 courses each semester and three courses in the summer.
Admission Requirements for P-12 School Leadership Track
All persons must complete the formal written application for admission to graduate studies. General qualifications for admission are a bachelor's and master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university, current leadership certification from the Professional Standards Commission of Georgia, and three years of successful teaching experience. Not all qualified applicants will be accepted. Individuals applying for the Ph.D. program must provide the following:
- A completed Ph.D. in Educational Leadership application form. Click Here for Application Packet.
- For the P-12 School Leadership Track: A copy of current "L" certification from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- A copy of recent GRE scores. Target scores: 151 verbal, 151 quantitative, 4.0 analytical writing on the REVISED GRE; 1100 verbal/quantitative combined for pre-August 2011 GRE scores. GRE scores are not the sole criteria; applicants with scores lower than the target may apply and will need to provide stronger evidence of the ability to complete doctoral courses and independent research in other areas.
- A current vita or resume.
- Two official copies of transcripts of all academic work; candidate should have a minimum cumulative graduate GPA of 3.5.
- A $35 non-refundable admissions processing fee with the check made payable to Mercer University.
- Three professional letters of recommendation; one of these letters must be from the candidate's school system supervisor.
- A signed and dated narrative of career and academic goals to be mailed in with the application.
- A signed and dated writing sample to be completed in person. The in-person writing samples will be scheduled approximately two (2) weeks after the application deadline.
Submit all items in one packet and mail to:
The Educational Leadership Ph.D. Admissions Committee
3001 Mercer University Drive, AACC Bldg. Ste. 335
Atlanta, GA 30341-4155
Interviews will be scheduled with those applicants who demonstrate appropriate writing proficiency (as determined by the admissions committee).
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the program start? Cohorts begin the fall of each year.
When is the application deadline? The application deadline is April 1, 2012.
Where will the program be offered? The Ph.D. in P-12 Leadership will typically be offered at both the Atlanta and Macon campuses.
Who may apply? Certified educators may apply. There are three initial requirements:
- Candidates must hold current "L" certification from the Professional Standards Commission of Georgia.
- Candidates must have at least 3 years of certified school experience.
- Candidates must submit current GRE scores.
The target scores are: 151 verbal, 151 quantitative, 4.0 analytical writing on the REVISED GRE; 1100 verbal/quantitative combined for pre-August 2011 GRE scores. GRE scores are not the sole criteria; applicants with scores lower than the target may apply and will need to provide stronger evidence of the ability to complete doctoral courses and independent research in other areas.
How long will it take? The program will take a minimum of three complete years, or nine semesters, including summers.
How much does it cost? Educational Leadership Ph.D. students current tuition is $1,935 per course ($645 per credit). Students will take 2-3 courses each semester and three courses in the summer.
Can I keep my job and do this program? Yes, the fall and spring semesters run for 16 weeks, followed by an 8-week summer semester. Most classes are 8 weeks long, and are scheduled such that students take 2-3 courses per semester. Classes are offered during the evenings, Monday-Thursday. There is also a required internship experience.
Is there financial aid available for this program? Generally, loans are available for graduate programs. To receive financial aid, students must be fully admitted to the program. Questions regarding specific financial aid questions should be directed to financial aid counselors at the following locations: Atlanta: 678-547-6400 Macon: 478-301-2670
How do I get an application packet on the program? You can download an application PDF by clicking on one of the Application Packet links on this Web page. Or, you can call the Admissions Office at (678) 547-6080 or (678) 547-6422 or the main office number at (678) 547-6417.
Where can I find additional information? For additional information, download our P-12 School Leadership Fact Sheet.