M.Ed. Higher Education Leadership
18-month M.Ed. program in Macon and Atlanta
The 36-semsester hour Master of Education in Higher Education Leadership prepares candidates to assume entry or mid-level leadership responsibilities in a variety of professional areas including: admissions and enrollment management, student affairs, advising, diversity, alumni relations and development, finance, human resources, facilities and athletics. The program's purpose is to develop transformational leaders who possess a strong understanding - grounded in leadership theory. The program is designed for:
- Those currently employed by an institution of higher learning who seek to improve and enhance job performance and assume greater leadership responsibility,
- Current and recent undergraduates who plan to pursue higher education leadership as a career, and
- Working adults who are not employed in higher education leadership, but who seek to make a career change to that field.
Candidates will choose from one of two tracks - Community College/Technical College (2-year) or Four-year Private or Public Institution. Candidates in either program track may simultaneously earn an optional add-on concentration in Academic Advising by completing a 5-course curriculum that complies with the academic coursework requirements established by the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).
- To provide a broad-based, scholarly foundation in higher education organization, structure, administration, and governance
- To provide graduates with a strengthened understanding of higher education institutions that prepare them to assume leadership responsibilities in post-secondary education
Every year on the first Saturday in March, students come together on the Atlanta campus to network and learn from experts in education leadership. The Academy includes breakout sessions to expose candidates to diverse ideas and methods on topics that complement and enhance the learning experience.
PROGRAM DELIVERY MODEL
The M.Ed. is offered at Mercer's Atlanta and Macon campuses. Students are admitted five times per year for the Fall I (August), Fall II (October), Spring I (January), Spring II (March) or Summer (May) terms. Classes are generally held one evening a week. The optional Academic Advising concentration is offered online.
PROGRAM OF STUDY AND REQUIREMENTS
The program of study requires a minimum of 36 graduate level course hours, which includes an internship experience and a research project. Students will select one of two higher education tracks, either 4-year institutions or 2-year institutions. The following is the general program of study:
Program of Study
Core Professional Studies …………………..…………. 24 hours
Leadership Track (either 4-year or 2-year) …………… 12 hours
TOTAL………………………...……………………...…… 36 hours
Optional Academic Advising Concentration......….. 15 hours
View full program of study >
To be eligible for the M.Ed. in Higher Education Leadership, applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on all graduate work attempted. With five admission entry points per year, applications are accepted year-round. Applicants must submit the following:
- A completed application - click here for online application
- $35 non-refundable application
- Official transcripts of all college work attempted
- Two letters of recommendation (from former and/or current supervisors or instructors)
- Official GRE test scores [target scores: 146 Verbal + 141 Quantitative, 3.5 Analytical Writing] (Target score for tests taken prior to August 2011 is 800 for Verbal and Quantitative sections combined)
Test scores are not the sole criteria; applicants with scores lower than the target may apply but will need to provide compelling evidence of potential to complete graduate level coursework. International applicants should consult the university catalog for additional requirements.
Application materials may be mailed to:
Tift College of Education - Department of Educational Leadership
3001 Mercer University Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30341