What kind of degree/certification will I receive?

Upon successful completion of the program, degree-seeking students will receive a Bachelor of Science in Education and eligibility for recommendation for a Level-4 standard renewable certificate in their two concentration areas. Initial certification students will receive certification in their two concentration areas. Areas of certification are Language Arts, Science, Social Studies and Mathematics. Middle grades candidates will be required to complete content in two subject area concentrations.

Where are the classes offered? 

All classes for the program are offered at Mercer locations in Douglas County (Lithia Springs), Henry County (McDonough), and Macon. 

When do the classes meet?

Mercer University’s Regional Academic Centers are designed to meet the needs of working adults. Classes meet on weekday evenings or on Saturdays, once a week for eight weeks. There are two eight-week sessions during each of the Fall and Spring Semesters, as well as one eight-week and one four-week session during the Summer Semester.  Most enrolled students take two classes per session for full time enrollment for the semester, meeting two different days of the week.

Are any classes offered online?

Many classes are offered completely online outside of the major course requirements, which are limited in online offerings.  Some classes are offered in a hybrid format - a combination of online and face-to-face meetings.

When should I start taking the required education courses?

Candidates may choose to take 200–level EDUC courses if your schedule permits.  Candidates must apply for full admission to Tift College of Education to register for courses with prerequisites.

Can I keep my job and do this program?

Yes, all classes will be offered in the evenings.  However, students are expected to quit their jobs when student teaching during their last semester.  Students eligible for internships may be able to continue with their employment while completing course requirements.

How many credit hours can I transfer into Mercer?

The University Registrar determines which courses taken at other institutions are directly comparable to Mercer’s courses and will be credited toward completion of degree requirements at Mercer University.  Course work with a grade of C- or better earned at regionally accredited institutions will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis and considered for transfer as an equivalent Mercer course or as elective credit.  Remedial or sub collegiate credits will not be transferred.  The maximum credit allowed from all two-year colleges attended is 64 semester hours (96 quarter hours) including all courses taken as a transient student, and no more than 96 semester hours of credit can be transferred from all regionally accredited colleges/universities.  A minimum of 32 credits must be earned in residence at Mercer University for graduation regardless of the number of credits accepted in transfer.

How long will it take me to complete the program?

It depends on how many transfer credits you bring with you and how they fit within the general education and major requirements. All the major classes will be offered within a two-year cycle.

Why do I have to provide immunization records?

Mercer’s immunization policy is a University policy and not an admissions policy, which is designed for the safety of our students.  If immunization records are not released to Mercer before the first semester, you will need to provide them before the end of your first session or it will affect your future enrollment.

How much is tuition?

May I apply for financial assistance?

Financial assistance is offered on a case-by-case basis.  Students may be eligible for federal and/or private loan programs. The Mercer University Office of Student Financial Planning is equipped to provide up-to-date information on financial assistance available to students via federal loan programs.  The first step to apply for federal loans is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) form, available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You may complete this form as soon as you apply to the program, but eligibility will be determined only after you have been accepted by Mercer University. Please note that federal loans are available to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents only.


Learn more about our Bachelor of Science in Education, Middle Grades Education degree

Ready to take the next step?

Schedule your personalized admissions counseling appointment or contact Renee Slaton at 678.547.6500 or enroll@mercer.edu for more information.